Kraken Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
Kraken is one of the most popular crypto exchanges that has been around since 2011. With it, you can buy and sell over 50 different cryptocurrencies, including big names like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin.
It uses heavy encryption and security protocols to keep your funds and data safe. Fees are pretty standard too, ranging from 0% to 0.26% depending on how much you trade.
Whether you’re a crypto newbie looking to invest in Bitcoin or an experienced trader wanting to expand into new currencies, it can be a great option. Their easy-to-use platform, range of currencies, and dedication to security make them one of the best crypto exchanges for both beginners and professionals.
A Detailed Table on Kraken
|A wide range of cryptocurrencies, including BTC, ETH, XRP, LTC, etc.
|Emphasis on security, including 2-factor authentication, cold storage, and regular security audits
|Regulated in various jurisdictions, compliance with legal standards
|Available for iOS and Android devices
|Provides API for algorithmic trading
Key Features of Kraken Cryptocurrency Exchange
Kraken is one of the original crypto exchanges and a popular choice for crypto traders. It comes with lots of amazing features. Here are some key features that make Kraken stand out:
A Wide Selection of Cryptocurrencies
This platform offers over 70 crypto coins and tokens for trading, including majors like Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin as well as smaller cap coins. No matter what crypto asset you want to buy or sell, chances are Kraken has you covered.
Advanced Trading Options
Seasoned traders will love Kraken’s advanced options like margin trading, futures, and over-the-counter (OTC) desk. You can go long or short on select cryptos and leverage your positions up to 5x.
The Kraken fees start at just 0.16% per trade and drop as low as 0% for high-volume traders. They don’t charge any deposit or withdrawal fees for crypto, either. Kraken’s fee schedule is very competitive, especially for active traders.
It is one of the largest crypto exchanges by trading volume, so you’ll always find a high degree of liquidity. This means fast execution of trades, minimal slippage, and the ability to move in and out of positions quickly.
Kraken uses industry-leading security practices to keep your funds and data safe. They offer features like 2-factor authentication, cold storage for crypto, and 24/7 DDoS protection. Kraken hasn’t been hacked since it launched in 2011, giving users peace of mind.
What are the Currencies Offered by Kraken?
Kraken offers a variety of cryptocurrencies for trading on their exchange. Some of the major coins available are:
- Bitcoin (BTC): The original crypto and still the most popular. Kraken has been trading BTC since 2011.
- Ethereum (ETH): The second largest crypto by market cap. ETH is used for decentralized apps and smart contracts.
- Litecoin (LTC): A popular alternative coin used for fast and cheap transactions. LTC is one of the oldest altcoins still around.
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH): A fork of Bitcoin focused on lower fees and faster transactions. BCH is accepted by many crypto services and merchants.
- Stellar Lumens (XLM): A fast, low-cost token used for payments and asset transfers. XLM aims to facilitate quick global transactions.
- Monero (XMR): A privacy-focused coin with anonymous transactions. XMR is popular with those concerned about financial privacy.
Fees and Pricing
Kraken uses a tiered fee structure based on your trading volume and whether you’re a maker or taker. Maker fees are lower than taker fees since makers add liquidity to the exchange. Fees start at 0.26% for makers and 0.36% for takers at the lowest tier.
If you trade under $50,000 in volume per month, you’ll pay 0.16% maker and 0.26% taker fees. For $50,000 to $1 million in monthly volume, fees drop to 0.14% maker and 0.24% taker. The highest tier, for over $10 million in monthly volume, has 0.10% maker and 0.20% taker fees. Kraken’s fees are very competitive and among the lowest in the US.
Kraken also has minimal deposit and withdrawal fees. Deposits are free for most cryptocurrencies. USD deposits and withdrawals cost $5 via wire and free via ACH. Withdrawal fees for cryptocurrencies range from $0 to $60 depending on the coin.
Not just trading fees, Kraken charges a few miscellaneous fees. There’s a $10/month account fee which is waived if you trade over $10,000 in volume or have a balance over $100,000. Margin trading fees are 0.01% to 0.02% of the total position value per 4 hours.
How to Make Trade on Kraken Cryptocurrency Exchange
Do you like to trade on Kraken? Don’t worry! By following some simple steps, you can do it. Here is the guidelines for trade on this platform.
- Create an account. Go to Kraken.com and click “Create Account”. Enter an email and password to get started.
- Enable 2-factor authentication. For security, enable 2FA on your account using an authentication app like Google Authenticator.
- Deposit funds. Kraken supports several funding methods like bank transfers, cryptocurrency transfers, and debit/credit cards. Fund your account with USD or cryptocurrency to start trading.
- Place an order. On the Kraken exchange, select a currency pair like BTC/USD and place a market or limit order to buy or sell. Market orders execute immediately at the best available price. Limit orders execute only at your specified price or better.
- Check your orders and balances. See your open orders, order history, and account balances on the Kraken dashboard. Your available funds will be updated once orders are executed.
- Withdraw funds. When you want to withdraw money or crypto from your Kraken account, go to the “Funding” page and select “Withdraw” next to the asset you want to withdraw. Follow the steps to send it back to your bank account, crypto wallet, or other destination.
Is Kraken Safe?
When it comes to cryptocurrency exchanges, security is a top concern. You may be thinking, is Kraken trustworthy to invest or not? Kraken takes security very seriously and implements industry-leading security practices. They offer features like two-factor authentication, cold storage for digital assets, account lock, and 24/7 monitoring for suspicious activity.
Kraken stores the vast majority of digital assets in air-gapped, geographically distributed cold storage. This means the private keys are disconnected and physically separated from the internet. Only a small percentage of assets are kept online in hot wallets to facilitate trading. Their security team also monitors the exchange 24/7 for any suspicious activity and has procedures in place to freeze accounts if unauthorized access is detected.
Kraken is one of the oldest and most reputable cryptocurrency exchanges out there with its security, functionality, and low fees. Whether you’re just getting started with crypto or you’re a seasoned trader, Kraken has a lot to offer. The variety of coins, leverage trading options and staking rewards provide opportunities for any investing strategy. Thank you all for reading this article.